YORK FIRE PROTECTION – TORONTO, ON
In February of 2019, York Fire Protection of Toronto was fined $67,500 in court and forbidden to perform fire alarm inspections for two years for not performing inspections in compliance with the Ontario Fire Code.
“Fire and life safety systems are required in buildings to protect both the occupants and responding fire fighters. Companies and people that intentionally do not test and maintain these systems place both occupants and responding fire fighters at risk,” Jessop said in the release. Toronto Fire Services is monitoring all fire protection companies that are hired by owners to protect buildings across the city, he added.
PREMIUM FIRE PROTECTION – CALGARY, AB
Breaking: $300,000 in fines to Okotoks fire protection company and owner
Jul 29, 2021 12:15 PM By: Darlene Casten
Company’s Kurt Bertrand states that issues concerning fines have been corrected
Sending uncertified workers to check and maintain fire alarm systems, portable fire extinguishers and special fire suppression systems at Calgary businesses will cost an Okotoks company and its owners $300,000 in total.
Premium Fire Protection has to pay a $270,000 fine and the company’s president, Kurt Bertrand will pay $30,000. Of that, $250,000 will be paid to the City of Calgary, whose fire department spent months investigating whistleblower complaints of Premium using uncertified workers. The remaining $50,000 are victim fine surcharges and will be paid to the Province.
The maximum fines under the Safety Code are $100,000 for a first offence and $500,000 for subsequent offences. Crown prosecutor Jenna Graham said a maximum penalty would likely only be in place in the case of an offence that led to a death.
Premium Fire Protection faces lawsuit after safety code convictions
Jul 16, 2021 By: Kevin Martin
National grocer Loblaws Inc. has filed a lawsuit against Okotoks-Based Premium Fire Protection over allegations the Alberta company failed to provide adequate services, endangering its customers.
The Ontario-based company is seeking at least $100,000 in damages, plus a court order that Premium pay all its legal fees arising out of charges it [Loblaws Inc.] now faces as a result of the fire suppression company’s work.
Premium was convicted last month of 15 of 24 Safety Codes Act charges it faced for using unqualified employees to conduct inspections, maintenance and installation of fire suppression equipment.
Several of its Calgary customers, including Loblaws subsidiaries Shopper’s Drug Mart and Real Canadian Superstore, have had similar charges laid against them for failing to ensure qualified employees were used to install and maintain safety equipment.
Fire company president pleads guilty to safety violations
Kurt Bertrand to be sentenced on July 29
Jun 25, 2021 8:00 AM By: Darlene Casten
The president of Okotoks company Premium Fire Protection, has pled guilty to four counts of violating the Safety Code Act.
Premium president Kurt Bertrand pled guilty to four charges June 23 in Calgary Provincial Court. Twenty remaining charges are expected to be withdrawn when Bertrand is sentenced.
Okotoks-based fire protection company convicted of 15 Safety Codes Act charges for breaching Fire Code
Author of the article: Kevin Martin Jun 11, 2021
Premium Fire Protection Ltd. used unqualified employees to conduct inspections, maintenance and installation of fire suppression equipment and failed to show due diligence to ensure this didn’t happen, a Calgary judge ruled Friday.
In convicting the Okotoks-based company of 15 of 24 Safety Codes Act charges it faces, provincial court Judge Allan Fradsham rejected a claim Premium Fire followed a policy in which it only used properly certified and trained employees.
Premium Fire Protection trial underway
Apr 20, 2021 2:00 PM By: Darlene Casten
It was whistle-blowers that alerted the Calgary fire department to the alleged use of uncertified workers servicing and maintaining sprinkler systems, fire alarms special fire suppression systems and fire extinguishers by an Okotoks business.
‘The violations will not take place again,’ fire safety company promised 4 years before new charges
Premium Fire Protection Ltd., several employees and clients charged with dozens of safety violations
Meghan Grant · CBC News · Posted: Jan 15, 2020
A southern Alberta fire safety company now facing dozens of charges admitted to similar violations more than four years ago, according to a 2015 letter obtained by CBC News.
Premium Fire Protection Ltd. and several of its employees as well as clients were charged in July with dozens of Fire Safety Code violations. In total, 65 charges were laid against 18 people and companies.
But it’s not the first time the company has been in trouble for breaking safety laws.
On Oct. 27, 2015, Premium’s general manager at the time who is now the company’s president wrote a letter to the Chief Fire Administrator.
In the letter, Kurt Bertrand admitted that between March 1, 2012, and Feb. 28, 2013, the company had performed inspections and maintenance on fire extinguishers in Calgary, Cochrane, Red Deer and Edmonton without valid certification, which was in violation of fire code regulations.
“I am sorry that the violations occurred,” wrote Bertrand. “I have learned from this mistake and will ensure that the violations will not take place again.”
Fire protection company accused of threatening employees to break safety laws
Premium Fire Protection alleges fire department didn’t ask for proof of certification
Meghan Grant · CBC · Posted: Nov 28, 2019
A disturbing picture emerged in court Thursday of a company that is accused of bullying its employees into breaking Fire Safety Code laws under threat they’d be fired for refusing assignments.
Premium Fire Protection Ltd. and several employees and clients were charged in July with dozens of Fire Safety Code violations.
In total, 65 charges were laid against 18 people and companies.
On Thursday, two former employees of Premium pleaded guilty to several Fire Safety Code violations for doing work they were not qualified to perform.
Both men told Calgary Fire Department investigators that there were “repercussions for refusing to do work they were assigned to.”
Fire safety company, stores slapped with dozens of charges after ‘unqualified’ people installed alarm systems
CBC News · Posted: Jul 29, 2019
In late July 2019, Premium Fire Protection of Calgary has been charged with non-compliance of the Alberta Fire Code. This case is due in court in September 2019. This case also charges employees of the company but more importantly also charges some building owners that hired the service company to perform the testing and inspecting of the buildings.
“It’s the first time, as far as we’re aware, that these types of charges have been laid in the province of Alberta for the operation of a company in this manner,” city prosecutor Paul Frank said during a media briefing Monday. Several large retail stores that hired the company to install safety systems were handed 15 fines under the provincial act...
Former Premium Fire Protection employees plead guilty to Safety Code violations
Author of the article: Kevin Martin Nov 28, 2019
Two employees have been fined $4,600 and $5,750 in the Premium Fire Protection case of non compliance with the Alberta Fire Code. Building owners and Premium Fire will be facing the judge in 2020. Stay tuned.
ECONO LODGE FIRE – PRINCE GEORGE, BC
Fire safety business dropped as defendant in lawsuit over fatal motel blaze
Proceeding against Aztech Fire Safety and Planning Ltd.
Jul 8, 2021 3:47 PM By: Mark Nielsen
A Prince George-based fire safety business is no longer a defendant in a lawsuit seeking damages for those affected by the fatal fire at the Econo Lodge motel a year ago.
A notice discontinuing the proceeding against Aztech Fire Safety and Planning Ltd. was filed June 29 at the Prince George courthouse.
Mundi 910 Victoria Enterprises Ltd., Choice Hotels Canada Inc., the City of Prince George and All Points Fire Protection Ltd. still remain defendants in the action, first filed in August 2020 by Leonard Hay with the help of two law firms.
The action, which has not yet been certified as a class action, is being brought on behalf of anyone who was a registered guest or in the adjoining Yolks All Day restaurant or simply on the site at the time of the fire, with the exception of the owners and staff.
In the claim, Hay said he suffered second-degree and third-degree burns as well as psychological injuries and all his possessions were destroyed when the fire broke out in the motel at the corner of Victoria Street and 15th Avenue on the morning of July 8.
Hay did not hear any fire alarms and did not see motel staff helping guests to safety, according to the notice.
Three people died in the fire and RCMP launched an investigation into whether a crime was committed. No one has been charged.
In a response to the notice of claim, filed jointly by Aztech and All Points, Aztech said it has never been engaged to prepare a fire safety plan for the motel.
Similarly, All Points said it has never been engaged to prepare a fire safety plan or design a fire protection system for the motel.
In separate responses, the other defendants also deny responsibility and oppose granting of relief.
Mundi and Choice also claim that in February and March 2020, All Points inspected the motel’s fire alarm system and found it to be fully functional.
For its part, the city says it fulfilled all of its applicable duties and obligations, and “reasonably relied upon representations from the property owner’s representatives and from All Points that a fire safety plan had been prepared and that the testing of the fire alarm system had occurred.”
In a response to the claim in the lawsuit, as amended in September 2020, that firefighters failed to deal with the fire correctly, the city says it “developed quickly into a dangerous conflagration” that put firefighters at risk of injury or death.
“At all times, the firefighters of the city acted reasonably and prudently in fighting the fire,” the city said.
The allegations have not been tested in court.
Motel owners deny blame for fatal fire
Dec 15, 2020 3:12 PM By: Mark Nielsen
The owners of a Prince George motel that was the scene of a deadly fire in the summer of 2020 have filed a response to a class action lawsuit, saying they took all reasonable care to ensure its fire safety systems were in working order prior to the blaze breaking out.
Full history for this story:
September 1, 2020 – Econo Lodge fire yields class action lawsuit
July 16, 2020 – Motel passed inspection two days before deadly fire
July 14, 2020 – RCMP make arrest in fatal motel fire
July 10, 2020 – Initial Report – Fatal fire ‘was like the sun hitting your face’